Supporting Early Reading and Phonics
Early Reading and Phonics
Find information and links to our phonics scheme and website support.
Early Reading & Phonics Information Feed
At Parkstone we follow the Read Write Inc phonics programme. Read Write Inc teaches children to read accurately and fluently with good comprehension. They learn to form each letter, spell correctly, and compose their ideas step-by-step.
In the programme children learn sounds and the letters that represent them, and how to form the letters. Then, they read books written using only the letters they have learnt (and a small number of separately taught ‘tricky words’). This gives the children plenty of early success and builds up their reading confidence.
How will my child learn to read?
The Read Write Inc. Phonics approach teaches children to read sets of sounds and then blend them to read words. The books that they read at school will only contain the sounds they’ve already learned, so children learn quickly and confidently.
First your child will learn to read:
- Set 1 Speed Sounds (sounds written with one letter): m a s d t i n p g o c k u b f e l h r j v y w z x and sounds written with two letters (your child will call these ‘special friends’): sh th ch qu ng nk ck
- Words containing these sounds, by sound-blending, e.g. m–a–t mat, c–a–t cat, g–o–t got, f–i–sh fish, s–p–o–t spot, b–e–s–t best, s–p–l–a–sh splash
- At school, they will read Read Write Inc. PhonicsSound Blending Books and Red, Green and Purple Storybooks.
Whilst they are practising reading stories with words made up of Set 1 Speed Sounds, your child will also learn to read:
- Set 2 Speed Sounds: ay ee igh ow oo oo ar or air ir ou oy
- Words containing these sounds
- At school, they will read Read Write Inc. Phonics Pink, Orange and Yellow Storybooks.
Whilst they are practising reading stories with words made up of Set 1 and Set 2 Speed Sounds, your child will also learn to read:
- Set 3 Speed Sounds: ea oi a–e i–e o–e u–e aw are ur er ow ai oa er ire ear ure
- Words containing these sounds
- At school, they will read Read Write Inc. Phonics Blue and Grey Storybooks.
What is Fred Talk?
If your child’s school is using Read Write Inc. Phonics, teachers will introduce your child to a toy frog called Fred once he or she is ready to start reading words. Fred can only say the sounds in a word and needs your child to help him read the word. Fred will say the sounds and children will work out the word. For example, Fred will say the sounds c–a–t, and children will say the word cat. This is Fred Talk: sounding out the word.
How can I help at home?
In the early stages of learning to read, help your child to learn the sounds represented by the letters (e.g. mmmm), rather than the letter names (e.g. em). This will help them when they start blending sounds together to read words.
Please click on the link below to find out much more about Read Write Phonics including handy videos including pronunciation of sounds and much more.
All of our Early Reading and Phonics posts will appear in this part of the website.
Contact us using the information below either by post, phone or by email, whichever you find more convenient.
Use the form below to tell us what you like about our website and what else you would like to see.
Hi everyone. We hope that you all have a fantastic time looking through this website and that it more than serves your needs in answering questions about our school and its facilities. If you want to send us some feedback why not use the online form above? It would be great to hear from you. There will be lots more materials added here over time so please come back regularly to see what's new or, even better, follow us on social media. That way you won't miss a thing. Enjoy. 🙂
High Contrast Menu